Different experiences of tango

@Marcy wrote an interesting sentence in her introduction:

mostly how a dozen tango dancers, observing the same dance floor, will see a dozen different dance floors in front of them.

Marcy, I’d love to learn more. Can you share an example of what you describe?

Hi
It’s about a few things. If you’ve danced a long time and know a venue well, you see the stories play out on the dance floor. I might see a guy dancing with everyone and another dancer will remark to me that the fellow is puffed with himself and never sits down and dominates the dance floor. Instead I see the same guy and think he’s friendly and tango-democratic :). That is based on our inner, personal bias perhaps, on how we see the world. There are quiet tango nights where some see a lonely dance floor and will leave after 30 minutes whereas I see a more soulful dance floor with all sorts of unique possibilities. When there are less people, you often dance with those you’ve never danced with before as things get silowed down. There are lesser dramas unfolding all the time and it’s also what you focus on when you cast your gaze and how much back story you might be aware of.

2 Likes

I also marvel at the degree to which predisposition effects perception. I think we often see more-or-less what we expect to see. The U-Lab language for this is “downloading” - a way of perceiving that mostly confirms your existing beliefs/expectations. Its interesting to me, how durable these pre-conceived pictures can be when unexamined, but also how quickly they can be disrupted, for example when the “puffed up” leader in your example invites their critic to dance. I have the feeling this process is amplified at special events (marathons, encuentros, festivals) where expectations are heightened.

It’s also built into online communication, where some people read a post, and understand something different - or react in a way that indicates they understood something different.

Example:

I would not have expected to get many replies along the line of “It’s ONLY NOW you’re comíng back to tango? In PL we already forgot there was a ban!” :slight_smile:

Some teachers already are aware of this, and are offering learnings for their community (maybe of interest to @mitramartin)

FOR TEACHERS AND ORGANISERS
If you want to add tools to your tango class to help students feel at ease when working with each other on sequences that you offer, then this workshop will be helpful. The exercises would be a complementary addition to your class and would allow your students to relax and enhance their learning experience.
If you want to dissolve barriers in your milonga and create a stronger sense of community, then this workshop is for you. The exercises would provide you with ideas and insights you could build upon to enhance interactions and strong connections.